Civilian killing in Nagaland: A case of mistaken identity says Home Minister Amit Shah

Speaking about the killing of 14 civilians by the armed forces in Nagaland, Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday told the Lok Sabha that it was a case of “misidentification” and the Army has expressed regret over the incident.

Addressing the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour, Amit Shah said that all agencies have been asked to ensure that such incidents do not recur in the future. He said that the Government of India regrets this unfortunate incident.

The Home Minister said that the army had received information about the activities of extremists in Oting, Mon on December 4. On this basis, 21 commandos ambushed the suspected area. A vehicle reached there, signaled him to stop but he tried to run away. Suspecting the vehicle carrying the extremists, the army personnel opened fire on it.”

The Home Minister said that of the eight people in the vehicle, six died and it was later found that it was a case of mistaken identity. Two other injured were taken to the nearest health center by the army.

Amit Shah said that when the villagers came to know about this news, they surrounded the army unit and set fire to two vehicles, and attacked.

“As a result, one security forces jawan was killed and several others were injured. In self-defense, the security forces had to open fire to disperse the crowd. Seven more civilians died and a few others were injured. Went.” The home minister said.

Amit Shah said that the army has expressed regret over the incident and is investigating the matter at the highest level. Amit Shah said, “Action will be taken as per law.”

Amit Shah said that he spoke to the Nagaland CM and Governor soon after the incident. He said the Center is keeping a close watch on the situation.

Earlier in the day, several opposition lawmakers condemned the killing of civilians in Nagaland’s Mon and demanded an independent probe.

At least 14 civilians and a soldier were killed in an anti-militancy operation in Nagaland’s Mon district on December 4. The security forces had opened fire on civilians in two consecutive incidents of firing. A soldier also died in the riots that followed.

There has been a complete shutdown in the capital Kohima after local people’s protest against the army personnel.