Today is Magh Shukla Saptami on Saturday, 28 January 2023. This day has been addressed by many names like Achala Saptami, Rath Saptami, Arogya Saptami, Bhanu Saptami, Ark Saptami etc. It has been called a very beautiful day to worship the Sun. Santan Saptami fast is also observed on this day for the attainment of a son, protection of a son and son’s abhyudaya.
According to Skanda Purana
Yasya Tithau Ratham Purvam Prap Devo Diwakar: ॥ Sa Tithi: Sahitha Vipraarmaghe or Rathasaptami ॥ 5.129 ॥
- Tasyan Dattam Hutam Cheshtam Sarvmevakshayam Matam ॥ Sarvadaridryashmanam Bhaskarpreetaye Matam ॥ 5.130.
The date on which Lord Surya first mounted the chariot has been told by the Brahmins to be the Saptami of the month of Magha, which is called Rathasaptami. The donation given on that date and the yagya performed are all considered renewable. He has been described as the remover of all kinds of poverty and the means of pleasing Lord Surya.
According to the Bhavishya Purana, Lord Surya had appeared on Saptami Tithi. They were born with the egg and they got growth while living in the egg. Due to staying in the egg for a long time, he became famous by the name of ‘Martand’.
According to Bhavishya Purana, Surya got his wife in Uttarkuru on Saptami Tithi, he got divine form on Saptami Tithi only and children were also received on this date. Therefore, Saptami Tithi is very dear to Lord Surya.
Bhavishya Purana Shri Krishna Uwach ॥ Shuklapakshe tu saptamya yadadityadinam bhavet. Saptami Vijaya Naam Tavar Dattam Mahafalam ॥
- स्ट्राण्ण दानं जापो होम उपावास्तथैव च। Sarve Vijaysaptampan Mahapataknashanam ॥
- Pradakshina Ya: Kurute Falai: Pushpaurdivakaram. स सर्वगुनसम्पणं पुव्रं प्रप्नोत्यनुत्तमम॥
Lord Krishna says – Rajan! If the Saptami Tithi of Shukla Paksha falls on Adityavar (Sunday), then it is called Vijay Saptami. She is the destroyer of all sins. Bathing, charity, chanting, home and fasting etc. done on that day are eternally fruitful. One who circumambulates the Sun God on that day by taking fruits, flowers etc. He gets the perfect son who is full of all qualities.
Magh Shukla Saptami has been described as “Achala Vrat” in Narada Purana. This is “Trilochan Jayanti”. This is called Ratha Saptami. This is also called “Bhaskar Saptami”, which is like crores of solar eclipses. Bathing is done in this at the time of sunrise. One should take bath by keeping seven leaves each of acacia and ber on the head. This destroys the sins of seven births.
This Saptami has also been described as “son-giving” fast. Lord Surya himself has said – ‘Whoever worships me methodically on Magh Shukla Saptami, being more satisfied with him, I will be his son from my part. That’s why on that day, the senses should fast day and night with restraint and on the second day, after doing home, offer food like curd, rice, milk and kheer etc. to the Brahmins.
Agnidev says in Agni Purana
On the seventh day of the bright fortnight of the month of Magha, a lotus should be made and Lord Surya should be worshiped in it. By this man becomes sorrowless.
It is written in Chandrika “Solar eclipse hi Shukla Maghasya Saptami. Arunodagayvelay Tasyan Snan Mahaphalam ॥
That is, Magh Shukla Saptami is equivalent to a solar eclipse, there is a great result of bathing in it at the time of sunrise.
According to Narad Purana
Arunodayavalaya Shukla Maghasya Saptami ॥ Prayage if Labhyet Sahasrarkgrahai: Sama॥
Ayane Kotipunya Syallakshan Tu Vishuve Falam
Vishnu has also written in Chandrika “Arunodayavelay Shukla Maghasya Saptami ॥ Prayage if Labhyet Kotisuryagrahai: Samaya
That is, if Magh Shukla Saptami is attained in Prayag at the time of Arunodaya, then it is equal to crores of solar eclipses.
Bhavishyottara Purana says in Madanaratna that “Maghe maasi site pakshe saptami kotibhaskara. दद्यात स्नानर्घदनाभ्यामयुरारोग्यसम्पदः॥
That is, the Shuklapaksha Saptami of the month of Magh is equal to crores of suns, in that sun bath, charity and arghya make life healthy. Saturn’s defect can be pacified by the measures given below.
5 easy ways to remove Saturn defect
- After sunset, light a lamp near such a peepal which is in a deserted place or in a temple. This remedy will remove money related problems.
- Offer oil to Shani Dev and worship it. Offer blue flowers to Shani Dev. Do not directly see the idol of Shani while worshiping Shani Dev.
- Offer water to Peepal, worship it and do seven parikramas. Feed a poor person. By doing this Lord Shani is pleased and poverty is removed.
- Donate oil every Saturday morning after taking bath etc. For this, take oil in a bowl and see your face in it, then donate the oil to a needy person.
- Offer vermilion and jasmine to Hanumanji. Recite Hanuman Chalisa. Shani does not trouble the one who worships Hanuman Baba.
Related tags : Lord Surya, Skanda Purana,