Hours after announcing the hunger strike in support of farmers, Anna Hazare called it off

Social activist Anna Hazare canceled a fast late Friday in which he planned against Centre’s farm laws on Saturday. He announced his decision in the presence of senior BJP leader and former Maharashtra Chief Minister, Devendra Fadnavis.

He told reporters that he had received a letter that the government would increase the minimum support price (MSP) given to farmers by 50 per cent, for a long time he had been agitating on various issues.

“Protesting peacefully is not a crime. I have been raising farmers’ issues for three years, they die by suicide because they do not get the right price for their crops … The government has decided to increase MSP (minimum support Value) 50 percent – I have received the letter, ”he said.

Hazare said that he had canceled his fast on Saturday as the Center decided to work on his 15 demands of farmers.

Hazare had earlier written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on his decision to launch a “last hunger strike” of his life on farmers’ issues in Delhi by the end of January. Later on Thursday he announced that he would start his fast on 30 January.

On 14 December Hazare wrote a letter to Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, if M. The hunger strike was warned if their demands were not met, including the implementation of the Swaminathan Committee’s recommendations on agriculture.

Another demand made by him was the grant of autonomy to the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices. “On the issue of farmers, I have had correspondence five times (with the Center), however, there was no response. As a result, I have decided to go on the last hunger strike of my life,” Hazare said in his missile to the Prime Minister. He said he wrote four letters to the concerned authority for permission to carry out his hunger strike at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan but there was no response from his side either.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.