Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the completed section of the Kanpur Metro Rail Project. The entire 9-km stretch is from IIT Kanpur to Moti Jheel and is part of the 32-km-long Kanpur Metro project being built at a cost of over Rs 11,000 crore. Prime Minister Modi said that the stretch will improve urban mobility which has been one of the major focus areas of the government.
Here’s what you need to know about the new Metro project:
1) Kanpur Metro is an Urban Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
2) It has 2 lines and 30 stations in Kanpur city of Uttar Pradesh
3) Kanpur Metro Phase 1 has 32.385 kms route
4) The foundation stone of the project was laid by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 8, 2019
5) Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 8.7 km Priority Corridor (IIT Kanpur – Moti Jheel) of Kanpur Metro
6) Phase 1 will be completed by December 2024
7) The top speed of the metro is 80 kmph.
8) The highest point of the metro is 15.164 km (advanced) and the lowest point is 8.621 km (underground)
9) Line 1 Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, Moti Jheel, Chunniganj, Naveen Market, Bada Chauraha, Nayaganj, Birhana Road, Kanpur Central Railway Station, ISBT Jhakarkatti, Old Transport Nagar, Kidwai Nagar North, Kidwai Nagar South, Yashoda Nagar, Boudh Nagar and Naubasta
10) Line 2 Station Names: CSA University, GSVM Medical College, Rawatpur Railway Station, Kakadev, Vijay Nagar, Dada Nagar, Burra-7, Burra-8, and Jarauli.