‘Thanks to CM, I was able to come back alive’: PM tells airport officials after security lapse in Punjab

After the security lapse during Punjab tour, Prime Minister Narendra Modi slammed Punjab Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi for a major security lapse. After reaching Bathinda airport, PM Modi asked airport officials to thank the chief minister as he arrived at the airport alive.

‘Thanks to my CM, I was able to come back alive’: PM tells airport officials after security lapse in Punjab
According to ANI, PM Modi told officials at the airport, “Thanks to your CM, I came back alive till Bathinda airport.”

The Home Ministry said in a statement that PM Modi was stuck on the flyover for about 20 minutes after some protesters blocked the road. PM Modi reached Bathinda this morning and was about to visit the National Martyrs Memorial at Hussainiwala in a helicopter after incessant rain and poor visibility. The Prime Minister could not attend a rally in Ferozepur due to a breach in security.

The Prime Minister was scheduled to lay the foundation stone for development projects worth over Rs 42,750 crore, including the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway and the PGIMER satellite centre.

Expressing a sharp reaction, the Union Home Ministry has asked the Punjab government to fix the responsibility of this serious lapse and take strict action.

PM Modi fails to reach rally venue in Ferozepur

Due to bad weather and farmers’ protest, Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not have to attend a rally organized by the BJP in Ferozepur on Wednesday. Though the prime minister landed at Bathinda’s Bhisiana airbase as scheduled, the helicopter could not take off due to regular halts. After waiting for about 20 minutes at the IAF airbase, the Prime Minister’s team took to the road to reach Hussainiwala. The farmers had stopped vehicular movement and the convoy could not move forward.

The convoy returned to Bhisiana airbase from about 30 km ahead of Hussainiwala. The rally progressed and some BJP leaders including former Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh, MP Hans Raj Hans and BJP State President Ashwini Sharma addressed the rally.

An announcement was made to end the rally at around 3 pm.

Ashwani Sharma made a scathing attack on the Charanjit Singh Channi government of Punjab, accusing the Prime Minister’s convoy of not providing any security and not clearing the way. Sharma said that it is very shameful that the state government has failed miserably in providing security to the Prime Minister of the country. Necessary action should be taken for their smooth and safe road, but the government paid no heed and looted the state for a moment when projects worth thousands of crores were to be started.

He also said that the Channi government also blocked hundreds of buses on their way to the rally and harassed them so that they could not reach the rally. He also accused the government of deploying persons under the guise of farmers to oppose the prime minister.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said that the PM reached Bathinda, from where he was to take a helicopter to the National Martyrs Memorial at Hussainiwala. Due to rain and poor visibility, the PM waited for about 20 minutes for the weather to clear.

When the weather did not improve, it was decided that he would visit the memorial by road, which would take more than 2 hours. After necessary confirmation of necessary security arrangements by DGP Punjab Police, he proceeded to travel by road.

When the PM’s convoy reached a flyover, about 30 km from the National Martyrs Memorial, it was found that some protesters had blocked the road. The PM was stuck on the flyover for 15-20 minutes. It was a big lapse in PM’s security.

The Punjab government was informed in advance about the Prime Minister’s schedule and travel plans. They will have to make necessary arrangements for logistics, security as well as keeping contingency plans ready, as per the procedure.

Also in view of the contingency plan, the Punjab government would have to deploy additional security to secure any movement by road, which were clearly not deployed. After this security lapse, it was decided to return to Bathinda airport.

The Home Ministry said that it is taking cognizance of this serious security lapse and has sought a detailed report from the state government. The state government has also been asked to fix the responsibility of this lapse and take strict action.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.