New Delhi: Assembly Election 2022 results are just a few days away and judging by the results of different exit polls, it seems that the Aam Aadmi Party is all set to create history and come to power in Punjab, leaving behind political stalwarts. is ready. Congress, BJP and prominent local player Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD). Zee News conducted the biggest exit poll ever to check the mood of voters in the five states that went to the polls recently, including Punjab.
Exits poles estimates, Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Aadmi Party is likely to win the Punjab Assembly elections by winning between 52-61 seats out of the total 117 constituencies. Exit polls have projected that the Congress is likely to emerge as the second largest party in the northern state with 26-33 seats, followed by the SAD with between 24-32 seats. While Kejriwal is the main face of the AAP, the party’s chief ministerial candidate Bhagwant Mann could prove to be a trump card for AAP in Punjab, despite being a controversial figure.
Who is Bhagwant Mann?
Here are five key points about Mann, who could be the next Chief Minister of Punjab:
1) Bhagwant Mann was born on 17 October 1973 to Mohinder Singh and Harpal Kaur in Satuj, Sangrur, Punjab.
2) Before starting his political career, Mann was a comedian, and was also quite popular. This was before the internet took over the world, but Mann often hit the right note with his comic timing and participated in youth comedy festivals and inter-college competitions. His rustic Punjabi humor coupled with political satire made him a popular name even before he participated in a popular comedy show on television.
3) In early 2011, Mann joined the People’s Party of Punjab. He contested from Lehra constituency in 2012 but was disappointed. In 2014, Mann joined the Aam Aadmi Party and contested from the Sangrur Lok Sabha constituency. He won by over 2 lakh votes. But in 2017 again disappointed as he lost the election to Sukhbir Singh Badal while contesting from Jalalabad.
4) There were many controversies regarding Mann, the main one being the allegation of prohibition. At an Aam Aadmi Party public meeting in 2019, Mann, along with his mother Harpal Kaur, promised to give up alcohol, promising to never touch it again. Earlier in 2018, Mann – who was the convener of AAP Punjab – resigned after Arvind Kejriwal tendered an unconditional apology to Bikram Singh Majithia in the drug mafia case.
5) In 2015, Bhagwant Mann and his then-wife Inderjit Kaur filed for divorce. According to some media reports, Mann later admitted that he might not be able to give time to his family because of his work. Indrajit also stayed in America and Mann said that he could not go there, while she could not come to India and both decided to get divorced by mutual consent. They have a son and a daughter.